More than meets the eye

Fred is an orphan. His parents were killed in a car accident when he was 5 and he was sent to the orphanage a few weeks after his parents funeral since none of his relatives were willing to take care of him. He had been in the orphanage ever since.

Now turning 15, Fred is slowly turning into a fine young man. He have a few friends but all of them left the orphanage, picked up by their foster parents by the time he turned 14. Now, the only 15 years old in the orphanage, Fred began to feel left out.

Being older shuts him out from the rest of the kids in the orphanage who were younger than him. Teachers and caretakers often saw him alone, sitting under the huge tree outside the orphanage, looking far at the sky above. They pitied him and often called him to help them with their chores, hoping to let him feel needed in the orphanage.

But surprisingly, Fred never looked like he felt alone nor did he complained. This surprised the teacher and the caretakers and at the same time, made them feel relieved. They were afraid that Fred would felt lonely having no friend of his age with him at the orphanage.

One day, a caretaker by came to him, curious to why he never looked like he's alone. The caretaker was amazed at Fred's personality and attitude towards others. So he went up to Fred, who was sitting under the huge tree, as he usually does and sit next to him. Fred was surprised at first, but he smiled back to the caretaker.

The caretaker talked for awhile with Fred, talking about the current issues, which surprisingly was Fred's favorite subject. They then talked about girls, about school and about the day's lunch.

Then, taking up his courage, the caretaker asked Fred the question that he meant to ask from the very beginning.

"Fred..." said the caretaker.
"Yes?"
"Sorry if I'm being rude, but if you don't mind me asking, don't you feel lonely sometimes?" asked the caretaker.
Fred looked at him and smiled.
He replied.
"I always felt lonely"
"My friends left me by the time I was 14, I'd be lying to say that I don't feel lonely at times"
"But I got through." Fred said.

Curious, the caretaker asked again.
"How? I mean, you rarely talked to us let alone the other kids..."

Fred smiled and look at the sky.
"I imagine. That's all." He replied.
"With my imagination, I can be anywhere and talk with anyone I want, so I rarely feel lonely"

Fred continued.
"I read in the newspapers about teenagers and even adults killing themselves, saying the world is boring and stressed and stuff, and to be honest, I found them to be stupid"
"I mean, they have everything, family, house, their own room, yet they don't cherish it"
"Look at me. I only have my imagination, yet I never felt bored with it. It took away my stress of being alone. "

The caretaker was amazed at Fred. He could not believe that in front of him is a kid, 15 years old.

The caretaker smiled. "I see" said the caretaker. He got up, pat Fred's head, and smiled at him before walking away. He had heard enough.

The next day, the head of the orphanage came to Fred's room.
"Fred, someone's here for you" said the head of the orphanage, smiling.

Fred got up and walked to the orphanage's office with the head of the orphanage. She then opened the door to the office. In front of him, is the caretaker who talked to him the other day and his wife.